Thursday, June 16, 2016

..And All That!!

SEAHAWKS BLOG

WEEK 2


    Starting my own personal week two of Hawk blog. Just going to go over some roster moves and news as the Seahawks started the three day mini-camp yesterday, June 14.

   To start, let me say that just looking over the current roster gets me excited. From having Chris Clemons back in the fold, to the hoped for steady improvement in Frank Clark, the defense looks to be tough as ever. If we can find a adequate replacement for departed Bruce Irvin at linebacker, I'm not too worried about the defense. Actually I believe we may have improved. With Clemons back, and if certain newbies (looking at you Quinton Jefferson, 5th rd.), I would really like to see more of the platooning system for the D line. Them are some big boys, and as we proved during the Super Bowl year, being able to send in fresh bodies every second or third down really helps. Very few, if any, teams can or will do that with the offensive lineman. I believe that was huge during the SB 48 season. I'm not completely sold on  if having Brandon Browner back in the defensive backfield is a positive or not, but its a little tough to tell this early. Browner was gold in New England, stunk it up in New Orleans. His problems with the Saints may not have been all his. I don't believe they (Saints) had another top tier cornerback, so Browner got all the #1 receivers. With the stud Sherman playing opposite, Brandon may just have a year worthy of the Legion Of Boom.

   I do believe that now is the time to PAY Michael Bennett. This guy deserves it. He bleeds Hawk green! From what I read, he is as good in the locker room as on the field. I'd hate to see him get away, but I don't think that will truly happen. The Pete and John show seems to have a way. Either way, I believe Michaels value to the team is immeasurable.

  Turning to offense, as most agree, our big question mark this year is the offensive line. Can we fill the holes left by free agency? Can we gel as a unit before the middle of the year? I'm guessing here, but I see Patrick Lewis at center, Justin Britt and Mark Glowinski at guards (only others on current roster are rookies, and one of those is a converted tackle), and Gary Gilliam, J'Marcus Webb and/or Terry Poole at tackle. If Webb works out, he could be a find. 6'7" 300lb. That's a beast. Germain Ifedi, a rookie, was a tackle at Texas A&M, but the Hawks list him as a G/T. If they can 'come together' as a unit during preseason, RW3 might actually have time to survey the field and make it as a pocket passer. 

   Of course, the other glaring question is "How do we replace Beast Mode?" First of all, you can't. Lynch was one of those types that come along at just the right time, under the perfect circumstances. Hated seeing him retire, but totally understand. He's been averaging a lot of touches per year over the last five years. His body has to be beat up. Marshawn is also a bit of a differently wired guy. Never seemed like he was in it for the fame or fortune. Just liked running over small, defenseless DB's who were unlucky enough to get is his way, or his area, cause I'd swear Marshawn went looking for somebody to hit once he cleared the line. As for his replacement; like so many others, I really hope RB Thomas Rawls is the real deal, and can come back strong from the season ending injury. A lot of people want to just hand him the job, but really, he only had nine games last year. If he can keep it up for the whole season-LOOK OUT!! Hawks also still have Christian Michael on the roster, and I've always thought he had it in him to be as close to Beast Mode as anyone. Everybody else currently on roster at RB is a rookie, so who knows what we got ? I feel pretty safe leaving this in the offensive coaches' hands. They seem to have that Pete "magic" working pretty well.

   As for QB, there isn't much to be discussed. Russell Wilson's job. No question. The backup could be interesting. With Tavaris still a free agent, and he has a history of signing late, not sure we'll be keeping Trevone Boykin and/or Jake Heaps, the other QB's currently on the roster.

    After a breakout year by 'Angry' Doug Baldwin, I don't see anything but good this year. I'm sure he'll see a lot more and varied coverages. That should really help Jermaine Kearse. Also helping Kearse's numbers should be the increased development of Tyler Lockett. Lockett should turn into a special player shortly, which just puts added pressure on the defense. Throw in Jimmy Graham & Luke Willson at TE, and things began to look rather promising in the passing game. If they do, Wilson could have a very special season.  Again, the biggest help to the passing game will be the play of the O line.    And now I've gone full circle.

   Just to be complete, yes I'm aware I haven't mentioned defensive backs or linebackers. I'll go into them at another time. Also, the numbers, personnel etc. are as of today. I also haven't mentioned any unrestricted, and restricted free agents, of which the Hawks have made a living picking up. A ton will change between the end of mini camp and opening of training camp. CAN"T WAIT !!
  
   So that's enough blabbing for now. Or maybe too much. And again comments and the such are encouraged and appreciated. Talk atcha later..        #GOHAWKS !!
 














No comments:

Post a Comment